Thursday, June 01, 2006

3 albums you need to listen to.

Jimmy Eat World - "Clarity"

Most people are not familiar with their earlier stuff, but they were clearly ahead of their time. Regarded as the quintessential emo album, this CD often goes unnoticed because it was never on the radio. I was introduced to them in 2001 and have probably listened to "Clarity" atleast 500,000 times since then. If for whatever reason, I was only allowed one album to listen to for the rest of my life, I wouldn't even have to think about it. I am fully confident, at the risk of appearing somewhat cynical, in my affirmation that Jimmy Eat World will never succeed in surpassing Clarity's brilliance with any future efforts, however genuine. They were dropped from Capitol Records due to poor record sales, and have since been signed to interscope records where they have blossomed into a pop-band. Lacking the substance and brilliance they once had, but are now selling records and receiving the recognition they should have received 7 years ago.

Brandtson - "Fallen Star Collection"

Another band that has unfortunately fallen prey to mainstream pop-music. This album also came out 7 years ago, was ahead of it's time and really sounds nothing like their current stuff. From start to finish, every song seems to hit a different chord in my life. I had a tough time deciding on just one Brandtson album because they are all very good with the exception of the latest one. Just do yourself a favor and listen to this atleast once before your time here on earth has passed.

Elliott - "False Cathedrals"

Elliott broke up a few years ago and weren't together long enough to make crappy pop-music. Another album that seemingly suffered from poor marketing. I had never heard anything like it, and still could not compare it to anything I have heard since. The perfect CD to listen to on a long car ride, it will put you through somewhat of an emotional/intellectual trance. This CD has gotten me through numerous trips from Providence to NH and NH to Providence. I honestly had a difficult time getting into it at first, but over time it has risen among my all-time favorites. And they are Christian too, so you really can't go wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Geo Visitors Map