Wednesday, March 15, 2006

the good, the bad, and the crap.



I genuinely feel sorry for the people who made this movie. I never would've rented it on my own--- Nate and Chris Pike brought it home. If you like movies about a group of cave explorers who venture out in the unknown and get attacked by cave aliens for 90 minutes, then you would LOVE The Cave. I dont and I didnt. Chris Pike did though.



My mom bought this. She is known for buying crappy movies that never leave the packaging, but I watched this and I was entertained. You just have to make sure you don't think about it while you're watching it. Just enjoy it for what it is... a man falling in love with a ghost.



Sometimes I rent a movie just because of an actor or an actress. In this case it was Jennifer Connelly. If she wasn't in this movie I wouldve thought it was horrible, but she was, so I thought it was excellent. Well, maybe not excellent. A movie about demon-possessed water can only be so good.



Yes it was pretty gross. And yes, I had to close my eyes and cringe a few times. But notwithstanding, it was well-written, very creative, and Donnie Wahlberg is my favorite New Kid on the Block.



Guy is in the big city looking for success.
Guy ends up hating himself.
Guy's parent dies.
Guy goes home to the smalltown.
Guy falls in love and finds the meaning of life.
Indie music plays in the background.
Guy is happy again.

Cameron Crowe clearly saw Garden State and thought "Hey, I could make the same exact movie and everyone will fall for it and I will make alot of money." Well I thought it was a steaming pile of lame. Garden State wasn't good because of the story, it was good because of Zack Braff, Natalie Portman and the rest of the cast. I have never enjoyed Kirsten Dunst or Orlando Bloom in any movie. Put both of them in the same movie and you have a trainwreck.



I had never heard of this movie prior to seeing it at Blockbuster, but there was a quote on the cover of the case that said it was more intriguing than Saving Private Ryan - so I had to see it because Saving Private Ryan blew my mind.

It was definitely a side of the war that I have not seen. American POWs being tortured by the Japanese. Normally you see the American army being powerful and triumphant in war movies, not starved, beaten, and burnt alive. It was a good history lesson. My only criticism would be the casting. Tom Hanks, David Schwimmer, or Damien Lewis would've been good additions.

Better than Saving Private Ryan? No. But should you watch it? Definitely.

4 Comments:

Blogger skape7 said...

I've liked Jennifer Connelly ever since I saw her in Labyrinth when I was...well, I can't remember how old I was, but it was a long time ago.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 2:01:00 AM  
Blogger gagknee said...

Oh come on, just tell us how old you are.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:59:00 AM  
Blogger skape7 said...

LOL, I'm Thirty. With a capital "T" thankyou very much :)

Friday, March 17, 2006 2:39:00 AM  
Blogger gagknee said...

Hehe...

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 1:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Geo Visitors Map